Tuesday, December 9, 2008

For Whomever-- With Love and SQUALOR

Hi! Arrived in India today! Wish you were here!

I hope this letter gets to you ok, because the mail service out here leaves something to be desired. I am sitting in a crowded bus station waiting for my train to Delhi. As with any spiritual journey, I have many questions profound and significant. Why is that woman lifting her young son in the air so that he can pee in the water fountain from which others are drinking? Why is there a cow inside the indoor bus station? I didn't think there was any room on this bench-- why is this strange man attempting to sit on my lap? Is that a dead body over there?

As I walk to ponder these questions and many more, an extremely loud car horn startles me and I look up momentarily instead of watching my feet as I go. Bad move. I step on something soft. It's a dead rat. There are many people peeing in the street, not very discreetly.

But it's the gross things you don't expect that are truly gross. I expect excrement of every concievable sort in the footpath. That's normal. I expect people of all ages and descriptions to regurgitate giant wads of multicolored phlegm onto the street. That's ok. I expect dead things all over and giant piles of burning garbage. Yeah. Somehow I find it shocking though to see an 80 year old woman playing with her naked breasts in the middle of the road. That was a little weird.

I'm having so much fun! I'm wishing you a Merry Christmas, and I hope everyone is well!

Oh yeah, and could you remember to feed the fish? Speaking of fish (and other animals) even though people are starving to death in the streets out here, no one messes with the cows who wander around and disrupt traffic, eating trash all day. Isn't that strange? I find it very interesting. The label on my water reminds the consumer to "kindly crush bottle after use" so I crush it up with great love and care and then toss it into the street.

Miss you! Say Hello to everyone for me!

4 comments:

eloise said...

Why are you waiting for a train in a bus staion?

Love and sunshine, Eloise.

ennui said...

If you think that 80 year-old woman is weird, I'd advise you to steer clear of my Grammie during the holidays. She's the best drunken grandma I have; and no one's idea of appropriate can stop her from digging out her old Mrs. Clause lingerie onesie - the one with snaps conveniently in the crotch.

thefuckitlist said...

Good point L. No wonder I didn't catch my train.

Happy and Authentic said...

You make India sound like a post apocalyptic war-zone. :P I like it!